A Travellerspoint blog

Stuck in Auckland

Tuesday, 19 December 2017

View 2017 Antarctica on greynomadm's travel map.

The day started off without a glitch. The ordered taxi turned up right on time. No drama at the airport and baggage checked in through to Buenos Aires. We will meet up with them later. The weights were under the 15 Kg restriction.

A short flight to Sydney on a small (60 passenger) aircraft. It is for only 45 minutes and we enter the Domestic side of the sprawling Sydney airport. Instructions regarding the transfer to the International terminal were provided and we set off on the long drive around the Western boundary of the airport.

We already have the boarding pass for the next flight so straight to to Security where both of us were subjected to a thorough search including checks for drugs. On to Gate 50 for the Air New Zealand flight to Auckland.

The scheduled departure time came and went. Many fellow passengers were concerned about our connection to Buenos Aires. We were told that the delay would not effect the connection. Fully an hour after the departure time our aircraft arrived at the gate, it had been delayed in Hong Kong. The B777 was serviced and we were asked to board. This aircraft is very wide with 16 seats across in the Budget section. Finally we're off.

Along the way we were asked to complete a New Zealand Entry card - just in case we need to stay over. Some time before landing there was an announcement regarding the Buenos Aires flight. It has been cancelled and will be booked into hotels for the night. It transpires that the airport staff in Buenos Aires has walked off the job Now we will need to collect our baggage and clear Customs and Immigration - not yet referred to as "Border Force" much less intimidating.

It took for ever for our baggage to appear on the console, cleared the officials and off to join the queue at Customer Service. One of the staff spotted Jenny and took care of the arrangements jumping about 50 places in the queue. Found the required 'Yellow Bus' which dropped us off at the Sudima Airport Hotel. Looked like a nice place, hard to tell at 22:00 Local time.

The room was well appointed but lacks power outlets. Managed to hook up enough to recharge the laptop, phone and the FitBit. The Internet if free for 24 hours, that should be enough !!

Although it was late, the restaurant was happy to provide a meal. The seafood chowder certainly had plenty of seafood. Back in the room I shot off an Email to Craig at Chimu Adventures so that our planned activities in Buenos Aires could be modified or cancelled. We are booked on the Tuesday flight to Buenos Aires in the hope that the strike at the airport in Argentina has been resolved. We may be here for a while yet. There will be more to come no doubt.

Stay healthy and safe.
Cheers .. Tony

Posted by greynomadm 12:30 Archived in New Zealand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Caught up with your pre-trip and then today's entry - my goodness, what a day that was! Such a time for a strike. And yea for Jenny! That was luck. Hope things run more smoothly from here on. Will be following you.

by milaniet

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.