A Travellerspoint blog

Deteriorating Weather

Friday, 29 December 2017


View 2017 Antarctica on greynomadm's travel map.

A day of frustrated attempts. Our approach to the island was blocked by heavy ice and waters too deep to establish a safe anchorage. Some humpback whales were spotted as the Captain sailed to another destination. Bright sunshine belied the unfavourable conditions. Ever hopeful some Zodiacs were launched but were recalled because on the swell and hint of a snow storm. Lecture in the lounge and we set sail again with the snow flurries settling on the windows.

After lunch the ship anchored in a sheltered bay and provided conditions considered to be safe for the Zodiacs to go out and explore. There were multiple sightings of whales and the elusive leopard seal. Two of the Zodiacs witness the splitting of a huge iceberg. Buffet diner tonight with a South American theme.

Good news, I was cleared by the doctor just before lunch. Good to be up and about again. My enthusiasm for writing the daily journal has diminished to the extent that from now on it will be delayed until we're home.

Stay healthy and safe.
Cheers .. Tony

Posted by greynomadm 20:19 Archived in Antarctica

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint